Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Family History Letters 26 and 27

State of Tennessee, Camp near Chattanooga
July the 5, 1863

Dear companion, it is with great pleasure that I seat myself to drop you a few lines to let you know that I am in common health at this time, only I am nearly wore out. We have been a marching about 5 days and am now wore out. I ain't got anything strange or good to write, only we have got on your own side of the Tennessee River. We landed here about a hour ago, but I don't know how long we will stay here. We won't stay here about a day or two. I can't what we will do. I thought we would be in a fight last Wednesday, whether or not. But Bragg beat them to Chattanooga. I never have been so near run to death in my life. We run day and night nearly. Nicholas here with me, he's as well as common if he (unreadable) Catherine. I don't know where we will go but the talk is that we will go to the (unreadable) station. If you write to me before you get another letter from me, you had better direct it to Chattanooga. I can't tell you where we will go. We are as apt to go one way as another. Catherine, you must excuse me this time for I am very tired. I ain't heard from you in about 3 weeks, I want to hear from you, so had I want tell the truth I ain't got many letters from father in a long time. I must come to a close saying I remain your affectionate husband till death. A.H. Burnett to Catherine Burnett. Jesse Kitchens  (Jesse Kitchens, Sergeant, Company F deserted in June 1864 and was captured in 1865 by the Federal army and released) says to tell his folks that he is along and well as common.

State of Tennessee, Camp near Chattanooga
This the 17 of July, 1863

Dear companion, it is with great pleasure that I seat myself to drop you a few lines to let you know that I am yet living, but I have been sick for a few days, thought I am a getting better. I received your very kind letter having date July the 3, which I thankfully received, which stated that you were all well. I was glad to hear from you and to hear that you was all well. I received a letter from father the other day which stated that they was all well, but Williams wife. She has got a fine daughter, it was born June the 16. I haven't got anything strange to write to you. Times is very gloomy with us here, but looks like we have to give it up. The Yanks is taking everything they want. They run us on every side. The boys is getting very tired of this. They is slipping off every now and then. They have cut our rations down to a quarter of a pound of meat a day. We see here time here you needn't don't it. Catherine, you wrote that you had 13 dollars yet and that you wanted me to send you some money as soon as I could. I have got 20 dollars yet and if you need it, send me word in the next letter and I will send it to you. I have been in hopes that somebody would come out here from Walker so I could send it to you for I keep it here. I will spend it, I wish that you had it now. Money is worth nothing with us. They make us pay with it as water they say it ain't worth nothing here. At home I have spent 22 of my two last draws I made. Catherine, I never told you anything about the march, it the was the worst thing you ever saw, it was so bad that I can't you through travel with me from but if I could see you I could tell you a heap. They are building forts here as fast as they can. They had a dress parade the other night that all the men that (unreadable) has to do. 30 days fortifying duty building breast works and I was one of them they may just kiss when I can't. So that is enough of that subject. Catherine, I was very sorry to hear that hogs was all dying. Meat is scarce enough now. Tell Nicholas family that he is well, he is on fortifying today, building another fort. Nicholas thinks that his folks has forgot him. He ain't got nary letter from them in a month. Catherine, God forbid that this world should come to such a way as it has. Some of these boys went to town yesterday and they said there was about five hundred horses there and about the same of officers. Sergeant York (3rd Sgt. Thomas F.S. York, Company F, 28th Alabama Infantry, captured November 25, 1863 at Missionary Ridge and sent to Rock Island Prison Camp and released May 25, 1865) said he never saw the like in his life. They was all about half drunk. A word to the children, tell John Thomas and Martha that I want to see them and Sarah Almeada mighty bad and so I will come to a close by saying I remain your loving husband till death. This from A.H. Burnett to Catherine Burnett, this yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment