Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Family History Letters 24 and 25

State of Tennessee, Bedford County
This the 7th of June, 1863

Wife it is once more with pleasure I seat myself this beautiful Sabbath evening to drop you a few lines to let you know that I was yet in the land of the living but not well. I have had a hurting in my side for about 10 days. I am getting some better of it and I hope when these few lines comes to hand they may find you all well. I ain't got anything strange to write to you at this time, only I (unreadable) letter this morning, which I (unreadable) with pleasure, which stated that you were all well. Catherine, I sent you a pen in a letter, I ain't got anything here (unreadable) dollars to 7 dollars (unreadable) tobacco 2 dollars a plug. Catherine, I spend my money faster than I can get it. You never (unreadable) you say whether you had any money or not. I was going to (unreadable) you wheat wasn't going to make anything. I thought that you wouldn't suffer for (unreadable) you didn't say whether you had any corn or not. I heard that Mister Hamilton was coming out here and if he does, I will send you a pen, comb, and finger ring that (unreadable) myself and make rings of the (maybe shells) they give us. Yankee's here now and have to go on guard (unreadable) day. We have been on picket a week. We heard that Robert Davis (unreadable) run away from the hospital (unreadable) I wanted to know whether (unreadable) had come here yet (unreadable) they ain't come here, nor I ain't got nary letter in two months (unreadable) to the (unreadable) again. Catherine, I ain't got much to write (unreadable) I have just took a slice of bacon and cornbread for dinner, we got meat enough for (unreadable) way. Catherine, I was sorry to hear that your collards was eat up. I don't want you to think that we get enough to eat. We get a pound and a half of meal and a half pound of bacon and a pound of beef. Catherine, I can't tell you how bad I want you and the children, I would give anything in the (world) to get to come home, thought I don't know that I ever will anymore. Tell my little man to be a good little man until I get to come to see him and be a good man to Martha and Sarah Almeada Frances for me until I come home. If I (unreadable) I want you to (unreadable) to eat some milk (unreadable) for me, when you write, write how you are a making out for corn. You don't write whether you have any meat or not. I want to know whether you have anything to eat or not. I wish that I was there, if I had to live on bread and water. I ain't heard from Josiah (unreadable) month. He wrote that he was on the mend and he had a thirty days furlough, he was going to start home then. Nicholas is well as common. Catherine, I want Susannah get a letter from Jerry write to me whether he has got out of that jail house or not (by this point he was back with his company for over two months). I reckon I must come to a close by saying I remain your loving husband till death. This from A.H. Burnett to C. Burnett. My pen is bad, my ink is pale, my love to you, will never fail. So for well this time. A.H. Burnett.

State of Tennessee, Bedford County
This the 15 of June, 1863

Dear companion, it is with great pleasure that I seat myself to drop you a few lines to let you know that I ain't forgot you and to let you know that I am well as common hoping when these few lines comes to hand they may find you all enjoying the same like blessing. I ain't got anything strange to write to you at this time, only we see a tough time here. We have been on picket 3 weeks today and we will stay here another week if no longer. They say the Yankee's is in 12 miles of here. I am afraid they will overrun us here if they come on us. They report that Rosecrans's has got a heavy force. Catherine, they shot two men the 13 of this month at Shelbyville for deserting. They have got Robert Davis in the guard house for running away from the hospital. They caught him at Blountsville, the conscript officer caught him and took him to (unreadable) and put him on the train and sent him to his command. I was on guard last night and I feel like writing. I ain't got nary letter from you in about ten days. I would be glad to hear from you. Nicholas is well, we ain't got nary letter from Jo (Josiah Whisenhunt) since the 26 of May. He stated that he was going to start home the 27 and he would write when he got home. Catherine, I can't tell you how bad I want to see you and the children. You can tell Miss Lindsey that Mister Lindsey is dead. He was started to the hospital about a week ago and we heard yesterday that he was dead. There is some sickness among us. We are in better health now than we were in the winter. I will come to a close by saying I remain your loving husband till death. This from A.H. Burnett to wife, when this you see, remember me.

No comments:

Post a Comment