Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Family History Letters 22 and 23

State of Tennessee, Bedford County
This May the 21, 1863

Dear wife it is with great pleasure I seat myself this morning to drop you a few lines to let you know that me and Nicholas is well as common only had colds. We ain't heard from Jo (Josiah Whisenhunt their brother-in-law) but once since he left here, he was getting better. Then I ain't got anything strange to write to you at present only times is hard here. We ain't had no battle here yet, nor no talk of none. We are going to have a barbecue here day after tomorrow. Our officers is a going to give the men a dinner. I received your letter that was dated the 9 of May, which stated that you were all well and I was glad to hear from you all and to hear that you was all well. Catherine I can't tell you how bad I want to see you and the children. I would give anything in the world that this war would come to a close, for I am getting very tired of it. Though I am in as good health as common and (unreadable) than I have been (unreadable) severe ear (unreadable) and the wound wasn't (unreadable) bad (unreadable) and a pain in my head (unreadable) nearly been past going. Catherine, I was very sorry to hear that your wheat wasn't going to make anything. Catherine you wrote a while back that you wanted me to send you some paper and some pens. I didn't have but three or four sheets, I sent you some in three letters and as to pens, I didn't have nary one. I will send you a pen in this letter. Pens and pencils is 25 cents a piece here, paper from 2.50 to 5.00 dollars a square and hard to get at that. Catherine, I have spent twenty-seven dollars since I sent that to you, it looks like I will spend my money faster than I make it here. I am afraid that I won't the chance to send you anymore. Shortly we will draw, in a few days I will draw 22 dollars. Catherine you wanted to know whether Dave Rolands told me that he sent them to you by Bill Williams. He said nothing about his wife. He said I sent the money to your wife by Bill Williams when I asked him about it. Catherine, tell John Thomas and Martha that Pa says that he wants to see them and Sarah Almeada Frances mighty bad, though there ain't no chance now, if ever. Tell John Thomas and Martha to be good children for Pa loves them. Catherine, my God bless you and your children. I want you to send me word how much money you have got. You ain't said whether you paid Mr. Kitchens or not. You wrote that you was going to pay him and if you did you ain't got much money now. So I will come to a close by saying I remain your loving husband until death. A.H. Burnett to wife. Turn over and read for mother.

State of Tennessee, Bedford County
May the 21, 1863

Dear mother it is with pleasure I seat myself write you a few lines to let you know that I am in as good health as you ever saw me. Me and Nicholas is pleasanter than you  ever saw us. I hope when these few lines comes to hand they may find you all well. I ain't got anything strange to write to you. Times is hard here. Mother I want you to quit doing all kinds of work, such as cutting wood and rolling logs. You will kill yourself, you must remember you ain't young, you have got children that is young, they ought to do such work as that. When you go at that, think of me and quit. that for my sake and your good, although I like to hear tell of work. I must come to a close by saying I remain your affectionate son until death. A.H. Burnett to Sarah Michael (Catherine's mother).


No comments:

Post a Comment