Tuesday, January 29, 2013

After The War by David Hardin: A Book Review


       I'm just finishing up reading the book After The War by David Hardin. I can truly say this has been one enjoyable book. I could hardly put it down. He goes through several of the major figures lives following the Civil War. The first chapter is an excellent one on the life of Winnie Davis, the Daughter of the Confederacy. I found it fascinating how even Jubal Early thought it was his business who Winnie married. 
       The second chapter is about Tom Sherman, General Sherman's son. Tom became a priest in the Catholic Church and this upset Cump Sherman to no end. He never forgave his wife for pushing religion on his son. Ironically the book I just finished was Grant's Last Victory by Charles Flood and there was a chapter that dealt with Grant's last days in this book. A great chapter was about Mary Boydkin Chesnut and there was a chapter dealing with General John Bell Hood and General Nathan Bedford Forrest. Mary Todd Lincoln, Joseph E. Johnston, Robert E. Lee, George H. Thomas, George Custer and his wife are all covered in this book. 
       Hardin is a great writer and story teller. I found I didn't agree with all of his opinions regarding certain things, but overall I would strongly recommend his book. I bought my copy at Books-A-Million. The only problem with a good book like this one is the fact that I zip through it so fast, I'm having to go purchase another.   

No comments:

Post a Comment